Monday, June 22, 2009

D-day + 1

I told you that on Thursday night, the nurses in SICU woke me up every hour to take my vitals. Because of the morphine, I had no trouble falling back asleep. I woke up for the umpteenth time on Friday morning and after having some breakfast was told I could transfer to the neurology ward for the balance of my stay. After the transfer things really fell into a routine. Meds every 4 hours, breakfast at 6:30, dinner at 11:30 and supper at 5:30. Blood work was done once a day and vitals were checked every 8 hours. I had passed the 24 hour critical window for rejection by the body, I had not had any seizures, my vitals were strong, there was no dis-orientation and no light handedness. Considering that 24 hours earlier I thought I was going to die, things weren't to bad.

Saturday came and we thought we might be able to go home. No such luck. You don't get discharged from a hospital on the weekend and you don't expect to. Fortunately Dr. Kumar came back to the hospital on Saturday evening, wrote my discharge papers and we were able to go home on Sunday. The brain has a wonderful ability to heal itself quickly but like I have found out, it is quick to tell you when you are overdoing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment