Sunday, June 21, 2009

Surgery - first couple of hours..

The surgery is over, thank God. Sorry I didnt post but the Regina General hospiatal has only selective internet access.

I will attempt to describer the surgery to you in specific blocks of time or as close as I can remember.

8:00 AM - wheeled into the OR and am greeted by two very friendly nurses, Dana and Shannon. There job was obviously to settle me down and it was a good thing they were there because the halo was coming next. The best way I can describe the halo was absolute hell. Four doctors came up on all sides of me and with military precision, they attached the halo to my skull. "Marcel, needle, right front." That was immediately fallowed by a needle of freezing in the right front of my skull and they turned the screw tight right behind the freezing. They did that at 8 points on my skull and before you have a chance to complain it is is finished. Dana told me if you can survive the halo you will make the rest of the day. A cat scan is next. They lock your head into a metal holder and do a detailed cat scan on your brain. This data is then sent to the main computer where the doctors spent the next 45 minutes to an hour deciding what was the best route for the implants to take on their journey to the center of your brain. All calculations and computations and coordinates are then sent to the "stealth", the computer controlled robot that actually inserts the implants into your brain. Let the fun begin...

1 comment:

  1. We are so glad everything has gone well so far and we hope and pray it will continue so. I personally(Marlyn) liked you detailed descriptions.I haven't told Leander about them yet as that really isn't his thing. Anyway, we're thinking of you!!
    Marlyn & Leander

    ReplyDelete